If you make changes to your business such as your business structure, name, or contact details, you need to tell all the stakeholders in your business and relevant agencies, organisations and governments.

The change in your business circumstance will dictate who you notify.

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO), Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) and the Australian Business Register (ABR) require you to report changes within 28 days.

Update your business name details

Make sure you keep your business name details up to date with ASIC, including your

  • postal, email and business addresses
  • authorised contact person details.

Update your business name details with ASIC.

Update your registration details

You need to keep your registered business details up to date with the ATO and ABR, such as your:

  • postal, email and business address
  • main business activity
  • financial institution account information
  • authorised contact person details.

Find out more about updating your registration details.

Update your ABN details

If you’ve made changes to your business you’ll need to change your Australian business number (ABN) details on the ABR.

Did you know?

Your main business address on the ABR should not be a post office box or tax or BAS agent address (unless you are running your business as a tax or BAS agent).

To ensure you have access to the right government financial support, we need to know the physical street address of your business or organisation.

Check whether your public ABN details are up to date in ABN Lookup.

Check your non-public data (like email or phone number) through the ABR.

How to update your ABN details

You can update details:

If you decide to close your business it’s important to cancel your ABN.

Update your company details

You’ll need to notify ASIC if you’ve changed your company details, such as your:

  • company addresses
  • officeholders
  • share details
  • members.

Learn how to update your company details.

Update details with your state or territory government

You may also need to advise your state or territory government of changes to your business details.

Find contact details for state and territory governments.

Read next

Learn more about changing your business structure.

Find out how to manage change in your business.