Attorney General's Department

Native Title

The Native Title Act (NTA) allows for recognition of the native title rights of Indigenous people. If your proposed activities could affect native title they are called 'future acts'. The NTA specifies how developers must consult before they do anything that affects native title.

Visit the Native Title web page

Australian Communications and Media Authority

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) regulates projects that involve:

  • running cables through protected areas
  • international telecommunications cables
  • radio-communications
  • broadcasting
  • telecommunications

Visit the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) website.

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission

Regulated industries

You may need to organise third party access arrangements to certain regulated industries including electricity, gas and transport networks.

Visit the regulated industries web page.

Australian Energy Regulator

Gas and electricity transmission

If your major project is in the energy sector you must follow gas and electricity transmission guidelines.

Visit the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) website.

Australian Fisheries Management Authority

You’ll need permits if your project involves taking fish and using boats and equipment in Commonwealth fisheries.

Visit the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) fishing rights web page.

Australian Maritime Safety Authority

Maritime industry project developers must ensure:

  • they operate commercial Australian and foreign vessels safely
  • they meet obligations to prevent marine pollution

Visit the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) website.

Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency

If you handle radioactive material, you must comply with guidelines from the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA).

The use of radiation by Commonwealth entities and their contractors requires:

  • licence approval
  • ongoing compliance monitoring

Check the ARPANSA regulatory guides.

Australian Taxation Office

You’ll need to understand Australian tax obligations for your project. The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) collects most business taxes (such as income tax).

Visit the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.

Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry


If you’re importing machinery and equipment it can have a risk to Australia's biosecurity. You must meet Australia's biosecurity and quarantine requirements.

Find biosecurity information for imported goods.

Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water

Environmental protection

You may need to get approval for activities that affect the environment.

Visit the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act web page.

Heritage places

The Government lists heritage places by type to guide their protection and management. We protect listed places through Australian laws and agreements with:

  • state and territory governments
  • Indigenous owners
  • private owners

The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act protects listed placesUnder the Act you must get approval for any action that could impact on a listed place’s heritage values.

Visit the Heritage laws web page.

Historic shipwrecks

The Underwater Cultural Heritage Act 2018 protects Australia’s historic shipwrecks and their relics. This affects any planning approval for waters near a shipwreck.

You need permits to:

  • damage or disturb historic shipwrecks or relics
  • enter a protected zone around a historic shipwreck site
  • transfer possession of a historic shipwreck relic
  • remove a historic shipwreck relic from Australia

Visit the Historic shipwreck forms and permits web page.

Sea dumping

You require a permit for sea dumping in Commonwealth waters, including:

  • dredging operations
  • creation of artificial reefs
  • dumping of vessels
  • platforms or other man-made structures
  • burials at sea

Visit the Sea dumping web page.

Department of Home Affairs

Visas and immigration

If you’re sponsoring skilled people to work in Australia, make sure you understand the different requirements.

Visit the employing overseas workers web page.

Customs requirements

Depending on what you’re importing, you may need permits to clear goods coming into Australia.

Visit the Australian Border Force importing web page.

Maritime security

You must do a security risk assessment and have a security plan in place if you operate a:

  • security regulated port
  • port facility
  • offshore facility
  • port and offshore service
  • ship

Visit the Maritime security web page.

Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts 

Aviation safety

Civil aviation related activities must meet Australian civil aviation safety requirements.

Visit the Aviation safety web page.

Fair Work Ombudsman

Workplace relations

Project developers need to meet Australia's workplace laws and accept Fair Work Ombudsman rulings.

Visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website.

Foreign Investment Review Board

If your project involves foreign investment in Australia, you may need to submit a formal proposal. This will need approval by the Australian Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB). The need for a proposal depends on:

  • monetary value
  • nature of the investment
  • type of investor

Visit the Foreign Investment Review Board website.

Offshore petroleum activities

In Commonwealth waters, you need authorisation for:

  • petroleum exploration and recovery
  • construction and operation of petroleum and greenhouse gas pipelines

The Joint Authority grants authorisations (titles).


The National Offshore Petroleum Titles Administrator (NOPTA) administers titles and data management for offshore petroleum activities. NOPTA advises the Joint Authority.

Visit the NOPTA website.


The National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority (NOPSEMA) regulates petroleum projects in Commonwealth waters. Approvals and requirements under NOPSEMA include:

  • an environment plan (with an oil spill contingency plan)
  • a well operations management plan
  • well activity approvals
  • a safety case

Visit the NOPSEMA website.

Safe Work Australia

Work health and safety

The Work Health and Safety (WHS) Act aims to protect the health and safety of workers and workplaces. If you have duties under the WHS Act, you’re subject to its compliance, enforcement and penalty provisions.

Visit the Work health and safety laws web page.

Was this page helpful?