Employer Support Payment Scheme (ESPS)

The Employer Support Payment Scheme provides businesses who employ a Reservist or a self-employed Reservist with payments when the Reservist is absent from their civilian workplace on eligible periods of Defence service.
Application detail:

Applications may be made at any time.

What do you get?

Weekly payments equal to average adult earnings.

Who is this for?

Employers of reservists and self-employed reservists.


If you're an employer of a reservist, or a self-employed reservist, you can get ESPS payments when the reservist is away on eligible periods of defence service.

For full-time employees, ESPS weekly payments are the same as average weekly full-time adult ordinary time earnings (AWOTE).

Part-time employees get pro-rata payments.

Check if you can apply

To be eligible, you must:

  • employ a reservist or be a self-employed reservist
  • operate a business
  • have an Australian business number (ABN)
  • be a bona fide and registered employer
  • have employed the reservist for a minimum of three months prior to any periods of defence service for which the ESPS is being claimed.

Apply now

Apply for the Employer Support Payment Scheme (ESPS)

Find out more about your eligibility and how to apply.

Learn how to apply

Contact information

Was this page helpful?