Coronavirus (COVID-19) information and support for business

If your business has been affected by COVID-19, you can find financial assistance and support on our coronavirus information and support page. 

COVID-19 work health and safety for your industry

It’s important to keep workers safe and limit the spread of COVID-19. You can find the latest information and resources for your industry on the Safe Work Australia website.

Business types in this industry

The agriculture industry includes:

  • growers – turf, flowers, vegetables, fruit, nuts, grain and other crops
  • farmers – sheep, cattle, poultry, deer and other livestock
  • nurseries

Licences and permits

State or territory governments manage the licences and permits for the agriculture industry.

The licences and permits you may need include:

  • water usage
  • clearing vegetation
  • disposal of waste
  • fire management and safety
  • handling livestock and animals
  • erecting fencing, property or other structures
  • handling, storage and use of chemicals or dangerous substances

Find the licences and permits you need for your business

Search the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) to find information on the licences you may need.

Employing people

If you employ staff , you need to comply with Australia’s national workplace laws specific to the agriculture industry.

Browse a list of industry and occupation awards to find the one that applies to your industry.


The agriculture industry has specific Goods and services tax (GST) measures. Know your GST obligations and register with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to ensure you can claim your GST credits.

The Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment provides additional information about tax offsets, deductions and concessions.

Learn more about the GST requirements for a food services business.


Grants for the agriculture industry are available to support businesses that:

  • conduct activities that are innovative
  • conduct research and development activities
  • need additional assistance due to exceptional circumstances
  • engage in sustainable farming, carbon farming or other environmental practices

Specific grants and assistance programs for agriculture businesses include:

Levies and charges

Levies and charges are generally used to fund activities that benefit the industry or region as a whole, such as:

  • research and development
  • marketing and promotion
  • plant and animal health programs
  • residue testing

Visit the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment website to find out more about levies and whether they apply to your agriculture business.

Find out more about levies and whether they apply to your agriculture business

Workplace health and safety (WHS)

All business have general occupational health and safety regulations, but the agriculture industry also has state-specific WHS requirements, including.

  • workplace noise management
  • standards for protective clothing and equipment
  • standards for occupational safety signage
  • manual handling safety standards
  • quad bike safety practices
  • electrical safety practices
  • hay bale safety practices
  • animal handling safety practices
  • biosecurity measures

Learn more about state-specific WHS requirements.

Intellectual property

There are Intellectual Property (IP) rights that might be relevant to agriculture businesses such as:

  • To protect your inventions - new machinery, new systems or new processes where you may need to get a patent.
  • Plant Breeder’s Rights (PBR) will protect new plant varieties and grant you, the plant breeder, exclusive rights to use, sell and distribute the plant and receive royalties.

Learn more about the IP options available to you.

Government organisations

Open all
button toggle all accordions

Further advice and assistance

Check our general business information for additional regulations and obligations relevant to your business.

For further advice and assistance, consider contacting your accountant, solicitor, business adviser or industry association.

Read next

Find out more about product safety, labelling, warranty and refund regulations.

Find out more about insurance options for your business.