Business types in this industry

The types of businesses operating in the industry range from:

  • trades people providing services direct to consumers
  • trades people providing services to other building and construction businesses and government
  • businesses providing small and large construction services to individuals and government
  • businesses engaged in large construction projects
  • businesses engaged in infrastructure project

The scope of work carried out includes:

  • residential and non-residential construction
  • renovations and extensions
  • building structure services
  • installation services
  • heavy and civil engineering
  • land development
  • site preparation

Our professional services industry information is relevant to you if you are an architect.

COVID19 support

If your business has been affected by COVID-19, you can find financial assistance and support on our coronavirus information and support page.

COVID-19 work health and safety for your industry

It’s important to keep workers safe and limit the spread of COVID-19. You can find the latest information and resources for your industry on the Safe Work Australia website.

Licences and permits

State, territory and local governments manage the licences and permits for the building and construction industry.

Find the licences and permits you need for your business

Search the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) to find information on the licences you may need.


The building and construction industry have specific Goods and Services Tax (GST) measures. Know your GST obligations and register with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to ensure you can claim your GST credits.

Learn more about the GST requirements for the building and construction industry.

Further taxation measures specific to the building and construction industry include:

  • Personal services income (PSI)
  • Taxable payments reporting

Personal services income

If you’re a consultant or contractor, the income you receive for your skills, knowledge, expertise or efforts may be personal services income The PSI rules affect what amounts you include in your assessable income and what deductions you can claim.

Taxable payments reporting

Businesses in the building and construction industry need to report to the ATO the total payments they make to each contractor for building and construction services each year.


Recover money owed to you

Security of payment laws apply to building and construction contractors in most states and territories. These laws provide a low cost adjudication process to recover money owed to you.

To find information on security of payment laws relevant to your state or territory:

Find out what to do when you haven't been paid. This information covers:

  • debt collection
  • dispute resolution
  • where to find help and advice
  • legal action

Manage business debt

If your business is in debt and you want to get your finances back on track, read our information on what to do when you're in debt. We provide steps and advice to help you manage and reduce your debt, including:

  • prioritising your debt
  • how to deal with creditors
  • where to find advice and help

Prevent unpaid debt

Simple steps can help you prevent disputes and unpaid debt by your creditors.

Other resources

The Australian Taxation Office provides a range of industry benchmarks which may be of assistance when setting up or managing your business. Visit ATO Benchmarks for Building and construction trade services to learn more.


There are very few grants available for the construction industry, unless you:

Search Grants & Programs to find grants that may be relevant to the construction industry.

Employ people

If you employ staff, you need to comply with Australia’s national workplace laws specific to the building and construction industry.

Browse a list of industry and occupation awards to find the one that applies to your industry.

Create an employment contract tailored to the award and your business needs.

Workplace health and safety (WHS)

All business must comply with general occupational health and safety regulations. The building and construction industry also has state specific WHS requirements. These include:

Learn more about state-specific WHS requirements.

Builders must have accreditation under the Australian Government Building and Construction OHS Accreditation Scheme to enter into a contract with the Australian Government.

Health and wellbeing

Mates in Construction provides suicide prevention training and support to people in the construction industry. If you or your staff need advice or someone to talk to, contact Mates in Construction at

You can find more organisations that provide information and support to help you with your health and wellbeing on the ATO website.


Environmental conditions can dictate certain aspects of a construction project. You may need to check with your local authorities for information specific to your area. The main environmental issues that businesses in the building and construction industry should understand include:

  • house energy ratings
  • soil contaminated locations
  • areas infected by a species (animal, plant, insect, or disease)
  • flood prone areas
  • bushfire prone areas
  • tree management
  • trade waste management and reduction


Alongside compulsory insurances, the building and construction industry has specific insurances. These insurances include:

  • domestic building insurance
  • professional indemnity insurance
  • public liability insurance
  • structural defects/builders' indemnity insurance
  • vehicle and heavy machinery insurance
  • tools, plant and equipment insurance for tradespeople
  • insurance for loss or damage to property in the course of construction

Government organisations

Open all button toggle all accordions

Further advice and assistance

Check our general business information for additional regulations and obligations relevant to your business.

For further advice and assistance, consider contacting your accountant, solicitor, business adviser or industry association.

Read next

Understand how independent contracts differ from employees.

Find out more about insurance options for your business.