COVID-19: Find information and support for business on our coronavirus page.

Help with your finances

Tax and super support

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is providing support to businesses impacted by the fires, such as giving extra time to pay or lodge tax forms and fast tracking any refunds owing to you.

If you've been impacted by the bushfires, your business now has until 28 May 2020 to lodge, and make any payments for, your business activity statements and income tax returns.

Your business will still need to pay any super guarantee contributions for employees. Contact the ATO if you're having problems paying by the due date.

Learn more about available tax support, your super obligations and who to contact for help.

Small business financial support line

A financial support line is available to support small businesses affected by the bushfires. You can contact the Small Business Bushfire Financial Counselling Support Line on 1800 413 828.

Read about other financial counselling options.

Paying bills

If you're having trouble paying bills, such as your energy bill or bank payments, you should contact your retailer. Some organisations are offering help including freezes on bills and payment extensions.

Learn how banks can help bushfire affected customers.

Company fees

If you are facing financial hardship due to the bushfires, the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) can help you with payment arrangements for your company fees.

Read more about company fees for businesses impacted by bushfires.

Insurance claims

If you need to make a claim on your small business or other insurance policy, the first step is to contact your insurer.

The request video could not be loaded at this time. Please try again later.

Managing insurance claims after a bushfire

Claiming insurance after a bushfire can be a daunting process. Take your time and do your research before making any big decisions. Start at

Find out about making an insurance claim if your business has been affected by the bushfires.

Employer responsibilities

Workplace health and safety

As an employer, you have an obligation to protect the health and safety of your staff while they’re at work.

You can't ask your employees to start or continue to work if it's unreasonable or unsafe.

If you must work, get specific advice from your local workplace health and safety organisation.

Contact your Work Health Safety (WHS) authority for specific guidance.

Pay and your employees

If you need to close your business or stand down your employees, you don't have to pay them unless your industry’s award or agreement says you do.

Check your award or agreement for information about paying your employees during severe and inclement bushfire weather.

If you employ ADF Reservists

The Australian Defence Force (ADF) provided support in response to the bushfire. If you employ an ADF Reservist who was called out for Operation Bushfire Assist, you must not expect them to take leave for their service.

To compensate you for their absence, you may be entitled to Employer Support Payments.

Check the rules around employment, payments and leave for staff in the Reserves.

Contact us

Business support

Get in touch with our Contact Centre agents for support and information. We're available from 8am to 8pm across Australia, Monday to Friday.


If you think we're missing relevant government information, please let us know so we can improve our information for bushfire affected businesses.

Read next

Find grants and assistance for bushfire affected businesses.

Learn how to get free mental health support to help you recover after the bushfires.