COVID-19 update: The Government has announced a mandatory code of conduct for commercial tenancies. You can find this information and stay up-to-date on the latest support for business on our coronavirus page or by calling 13 28 46.×

You are here:

Help with your finances

Tax and super support

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is providing support to businesses impacted by the fires, such as giving extra time to pay or lodge tax forms and fast tracking any refunds owing to you.

If you've been impacted by the bushfires, your business now has until 28 May 2020 to lodge, and make any payments for, your business activity statements and income tax returns.

Your business will still need to pay any super guarantee contributions for employees. Contact the ATO if you're having problems paying by the due date.

Small business financial support line

A financial support line is being set up to support businesses affected by the bushfires. While the support line is being established, you can contact us on 13 28 46 for assistance.

Paying bills

If you're having trouble paying bills, such as your energy bill or bank payments, you should contact your retailer. Some organisations are offering help including freezes on bills and payment extensions.

Company fees

If you are facing financial hardship due to the bushfires, the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) can help you with payment arrangements for your company fees.

Insurance claims

If you need to make a claim on your small business or other insurance policy, the first step is to contact your insurer.

Managing insurance claims after a bushfire

Time: 0

Claiming insurance after a bushfire can be a daunting process. Take your time and do your research before making any big decisions. Start at

Employer responsibilities

Workplace health and safety

As an employer, you have an obligation to protect the health and safety of your staff while they’re at work.

You can't ask your employees to start or continue to work if it's unreasonable or unsafe. If your business is in an area affected by reduced air quality, you must have measures in place to protect your staff.

If you must work, get specific advice from your local workplace health and safety organisation.

Pay and your employees

If you need to close your business or stand down your employees, you don't have to pay them unless your industry’s award or agreement says you do.

If you employ ADF Reservists

The Australian Defence Force (ADF) is providing support in response to the bushfire. If you employ an ADF Reservist who is called out for Operation Bushfire Assist, you must:

  • release them for service (unless you get an exemption)
  • not expect them to take leave for their service

To compensate you for their absence, you may be entitled to Employer Support Payments.


If your business has lost connection, you can make free payphone calls and access free Wi-Fi in some locations.

Some telcos are offering extra support for affected customers, such as free call diversions and credit to help with connection costs – check with your provider to find out how they can help.

Contact us

Business support

Get in touch with our Contact Centre agents for support and information. We're available from 8am to 8pm across Australia, Monday to Friday.


If you think we're missing relevant government information, please let us know so we can improve our information for bushfire affected businesses.